A detailed look at the fields and dependencies in the Industry records, how to create a new Industry record & editing existing Industries.
The “Industry” record is used within the Customer, Sites and Supplier files to help with classification and reporting. It is pre-loaded with the most common industry classifications. Each classification is assigned a “Category” (often referred to as a Sector). These are also pre-populated with a full comprehensive set of options. These can be deleted if you prefer to use your own set.
Some features are dependent opon your select plan for your account.
Indicates a feature is only available in LIVE Standard or above.
Indicates a feature is only available in LIVE Enterprise.
Where Industry Records are Used
The following files refer to Industry records so if you plan to use any of these, setting up the records in this file will be important or even critical:
Pre-requisite Files for Industry Records
When setting up Industry records, it is recommended to review the other data files that may need to be referred to by each record. These are the files that you may need to setup in advance:
- Categories (Industry) – however this file is pre-filled with a default comprehensive set.
Field Descriptions for Industry
The ID section holds the unique ID and names for the industry:
Reference - holds the unique ID for the record (most records in LIVE have one of these). It cannot contain any spaces or non-standard characters. Once the record is saved, it is not possible to edit it afterwards. In most default situations, the Reference is automatically set using a counter sequence, however, you can setup your own if you prefer.
The Details section holds the detail of the industry:
Name - the formal name of the industry.
Category – the ‘Sector’ group for the industry (record is selected from Categories file where Type = 'Industry').
The Other section holds status:
Memo – free text notes used to describe the industry definition.
Code – an alternative code for the industry, used for reporting/analysis or data transfer.
Status – defines the status of the record as follows:
- Disabled – is not active. The record will not appear for selection in other parts of the system.
- Enabled – is active. The record will appear for selection in other parts of the system.
Creating a New Industry Record
To create a new Industry record:
- Click on the “Plus” button.
A menu will appear.
- Within the “Data Sources” section, find “Industry”.
- Click on “Industry”.
- A new “empty” Category record will appear.
- Populate all fields as you require.
- Click on the “Create” button.
- You may need to refresh the page to see the new record in a view.
Editing an Industry Record
To edit an Industry record:
- From the main menu, select Industries.
The default view for Industries will open.
- Click on the Quick Filter button.
- Enter criteria for the Industries record you are looking for and click Apply button.
- The view will update. Find the record you are wanting to edit.
- Click anywhere on the row that shows the record. The record will open.
- You can edit any field that allows editing (some could be set to read only).
- Click on “Save” button to save changes.
Deleting an Industry Record
To delete an Industry record.
- From the main menu, select Industries. The default view for Industries will open.
- Click on the Quick Filter button.
- Enter criteria for the Category record you are looking for and click Apply button.
- The view will update. Find the record you are wanting to delete.
- On the left side of the view is a column containing checkboxes.
- Check the box of the record you want to delete.
- Click the “Delete” button on the top right.
A slide in dialog will appear prompting you to confirm the delete, by typing in the word “DELETE” again.
- To confirm, click the “Delete” button and the record (or records will be deleted).
Note: You can delete Category records referred to only by other Data Sources however this will leave those records without an associated to a valid Industry record. If this happens by accident, you can manually recreate the record ensuring the Reference is identical. You can also change the status of the record to prevent it appearing on screen in future whilst maintaining historical integrity.
Customising or Adding New Fields
Solarvista™ LIVE is built upon Zappforms™ – a uniquely flexible platform that allows you to edit fields (or remove them in some cases) as well as add your own fields. These new fields (or edited characteristics of existing fields) automatically become available within the web portal and the mobile apps. For more information, refer to the Customising section.
Importing Cause Data in Bulk using Import Tool
If you have a lot of Cause information to enter, you may prefer to upload this using the Import Tool that’s built into LIVE. The Import Tool enables Cause records to be created from “CSV” text files. CSV files can be created from a wide range of popular applications including Microsoft Excel. For more information on importing data into LIVE, please refer to the article here.
Continue the Setting Up Data series with Importing Data into Live.